A wedding is not fully complete without beautiful wedding flowers. Whether you are looking for a splash of colour at church, a bouquet for your wedding party or decorations for the reception hall, flowers are a key element of a wedding. Most of us are not flower experts, so what do you need to know when you start your wedding flower shopping?
- Budget: Determine how much you would like to spend on your wedding flowers before you visit with florists. Knowing the budget will help the florist show you flowers available in your budget vs. showing you bouquets that you may not be able to afford. When you are speaking with the florist, ask about all the costs, including set up, delivery charges, taxes, and tip!
- Quantity And Needs: Figure out all the different flower arrangements you might need on your wedding day. Will you want flowers to adorn the church? Do you need them for the bouquets, the reception hall, or the escort card table? Do you need boutonnieres? Think about all the different places you want to showcase the flowers.
- The First Consultation: Provide the florist with as much information as you can about the wedding so that he/she can provide you with the best advice possible. For your first consultation, make sure to take some images of your wedding dress, the bridesmaids dresses, and the venue so that the florist can have an idea of what you are envisioning for your wedding flowers.
- Seasonal Flowers: Check out the flowers that are in season during the time that you’re planning to get married. Some flowers are only available in certain months. If the flowers you are looking for are not in season, you can find substitutes that can work well in its place.
- Colours: Think about the colour scheme for your wedding as this will help you choose the perfect wedding flowers for your big day.
- Style: Classic, modern, romantic etc. These are just a few of the styles that you may choose for your wedding. The style of your wedding will influence your wedding flower choices. For example, if you are looking for more of a romantic style, soft blooms may be better suited than vibrant flowers. A classic style might include tighter bunches of flowers like peonies or roses. When you are thinking abut the style, choose one that will go well with your wedding dress so that you have a nice, consistent look.
- Meaning Of Flowers: If the significance of flowers is important to you, you can look at the meaning of the different types of flowers to help you decide what you want to use at your wedding. For example, some flowers, like roses represent passion, whereas others, like hydrangeas, represent perseverance and sincerity. It really will depend on what you want your flowers to represent.
- Type Of Flowers: The type of flowers will also be something to consider. Do you want Peonies, Dahlias, Lilies, or Roses at your wedding? There are so many different types to choose from. Some flowers are typical of sad occasions, like funerals. You will want to stay away from those. Scent is also something that you may want to think about as well. Some flowers have very strong scents, whereas others do not. It truly depends on what you are looking for!
- Table Configurations: The type of table configurations will also have an impact on the shape and the style of wedding flowers you choose for your centerpieces. If you have long farm tables vs. round tables, the flower choices may be different. Also, you will want to consider your guests when you are choosing your centerpieces. Make sure that whatever you select will encourage conversation at the table. Nobody wants to peer around a centerpiece or stand up to speak to other people at their table – this can be very frustrating. At the end of the day, you want your guests to have a good time.
- Venue: Location is key! Where you are getting married will have an impact on what type of wedding flowers you choose. For example, if you are getting married in a garden, you may not need as many flowers, as there will be plenty for you to see. Other venues may need a bit more help.
With just a few key tips to get you started, you will be on your way to finding the perfect wedding flowers for your wedding day. Have fun and let us know how it goes!