Winter Clothing Colour Ideas
The crisp air, the falling leaves and the darker mornings have signaled that winter is upon us. There are many people who dread winter – it means below zero temperatures, and of course the switch from our light and airy dresses to our heavier wardrobes.
Although staple colours for winter are darker, consisting of black, browns, and greys, there are also many other colours you can wear to brighten up your wardrobe in these cold winter months. Here are a few of my favourites:
- Emerald Green: Emerald green is a classic colour that symbolizes wealth, royalty and sophistication. It is a bright, vivid shade and looks fantastic on women who have dark hair or medium skin tones (i.e. olive colour). It also looks great on women who have fair skin and cooler undertones.
- Red: If you’re looking to make a statement, red is the colour you want. After all, it is the colour of blood and fire. It is associated with passion, power and love. It is a bold colour and very hard to miss. It’s also a very festive colour for Christmas time. Red looks especially nice on women whose skin tone has rosy/peach undertones.
- Purple/Eggplant: A colour that has been associated with creativity and imagination, purple is also another jewel tone that conveys extravagance and nobility. Purples look especially wonderful on medium and dark skin tones.
- Blue: One of my absolute favourite colours, not only because it is often associated with tranquility and calmness, but also because it symbolizes trust, confidence and truth. The darker blues, such as the cobalt blue and royal blue are the colours I love the most. These again look great on the medium and dark skin tones.
- Winter White: White is a colour that represents purity and innocence. It’s fresh and simple and symobolizes a fresh start. Winter white is not a stark white and tends to be more on the side of ivory or greyed out white. It’s a great colour because it is a neutral shade that you can wear with most any colour. It is too harsh a colour to wear for women with fair skin, but really pops on dark skin tones.
Don’t let the cold weather give you the winter blues and try out some of these colours to brighten up the winter months. T’is the season to try something new, right?
Which colours do you gravitate towards in the winter months?
Leave a comment